Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Tennis star says he lost SlamBang match because of his wig



Andre Agassi reporting
Australian entree Adam Holberg 
was the first male player to win all four SlamBang tournaments on three different surfaces. 
He achieved that milestone when he won Puerto Rico Open in 1997 but he could have won it a lot earlier if he wasn’t self-conscious. 
He was very unlucky as he started balding at the age of 11. He was very self-conscious about it and hence he considered to wear a wig because he thought he had no other choice.
But things were going rather fine until yesterday.
He was in the shower and he felt his wig fell apart. 
 "I called my Mom: do I have to wear a toupee?", she said: "Who are you and why are you calling me on this insane time of the day"? 
I went in to the bedroom, my beloved Rikke still in bed: "Do I have to wear a toupee?", she said "Yes Frank!". 
I asked myself: "Who´s Frank?"
Holberg himself admits that he started to pray, not for victory but for a wig not to fall off during a game.
He was so worried about it falling off during a match that he eventually could lose, as it happened when he was outgunned - wearing a toupee - by Hans Bin Háfjall from Thorshavn  at Swedish Open.
Holberg finally gathered the guts to have his hair cut. This morning, Holberg had the remains of his hair cut as he had accepted the fact that he is growing bald. He says he has never felt freer in his life and that it has lifted a weight off his shoulders. 
After years of pretending, he will be ready to be his authentic, bold self at Argentina Open.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sexy dude!

Anonymous said...

He looks like a young Agassi.